Friday, May 14, 2010

The Love That Dares Not Speak Its Name


No, not gay love. The love between older guys. Yep. We exist. We have romantic feelings. We love and lust. But do you think there are books, or films, or songs about us out there? Oh, one or two. A Single Man with the incandescent sexy and astonishing Colin Firth. Right, now that we've got that example out of the way, let's think of others. Ummmm. Errrrr. Wee-eeellll.

It makes me sick. I am heartily sick of gay coming of age stories. Yeah, I know, coming out is hard, and I started writing because my discovery of myself was so difficult, and I hoped to make it easier for others. But it's time to celebrate mature passion, mature love by men who've been through the mill, and have been ground down a little during the process. Men whose hormonal fires might have been banked down, but whose capacity for love is undimmed, has maybe even grown as that arrogant solipsistic period of our lives gives way to a more thoughtful caring maturity.

I'll keep looking. Don't hold your breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this short story about old men.
http://bruinfisher.awesomedude.com/benscabin.html
Max

Nigel said...

Haven't read that one. But Bruin is a satisfying writer who really makes you feel the emotions in a situation. Didja know one of his stories was in I Do Two! It was a heartwarming yet realistic tale about a young guy coming to terms with himself when he meets an older married gay couple.