Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Majorca Flats -- 92

Café Università, Melbourne

Dear gran,

I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye. I don't know whether they told you what happened. Brent shot himself and it was because of me. I felt I just had to get away.

Anyway, here I am. In Australia. I've got a job at a bar, I'm staying with a nice old lady who reminds me of you, and I'm trying to start a new life.


Please don't tell mum and dad or anyone where I am. It's my fault Brent killed himself, and I just couldn't bear dad's indifference or mum's spite. You know how they are, and they never accepted that I loved him or even that he was a real person. I hoped that we would be together always, like marriage is supposed to be, but that isn't going to happen now.

This is my new email address:__________  I don't know how long I'll be at the address where I am now, but the email will move around with me wherever I go. I used an internet café near where I live to set up this account, and that's where I'll go to access my emails.

I've only got a six-month's visa, and I'm not supposed to be working. Maybe when my Ozzie visa expires, I'll go to New Zealand. I've always wanted to go there, ever since I read that Mary Stewart book you lent me – you remember, what was it called? About the telepathic woman and her lover? – anyway, it seemed wonderfully romantic and far away, and I've been longing to see it ever since.

Ozzies are very friendly and likable. I'm starting to make friends. No one from “society” – mum would have a fit! – but they're all genuine and sincere people.

I haven't your email address, so please email me soon, and I'll write back and let you know what's happening.

I miss you a lot, and Mr Minims too. I can't send him an email, so give him a kiss for me, and one of those biscuits he likes so much.

Much love.

Jason


[Image from Floating Robes]


Majorca Flats Episodes 81 to 90

No comments: