Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Love one another


Christmas day here in Oz.  Not too hot, a little cloudy but the forecast from the Met is that it'll clear up later.  I'm going to drive across the city to fetch my daughter and her guy later -- they're having lunch with his family and dinner with us.  Present giving later today.  No turkey or ham, we're veggies, but we'll have our traditional almond loaf with pineapple slices, plus roast potatoes, peas, roast pumpkin etc.  My lady has made a very rich and quite delicious gluten-free Xmas cake for afters (my daughter and I are wheat intolerant, so we can't eat wheat and we won't eat meat -- makes life awkward) and we have custard and cream and brandy to go with it.  I shall gain 2 kilos.  Sigh.

This coming year I'm going to try and be a better person, less bitter, more organised.  I'm going to keep on counting my blessings: my lady; my kids; my job (I get paid half of nothing but it could be worse!); my garden; my passable health; all of youse.  I plan on losing another 10 kilos this year, and starting working out again.  Going to keep up with the Spanish and drawing, start playing music again, now that the garage conversion is complete and I have space for the piano/clarinet/sax/guitar and all the music scripts and a place to practise.  (As you can see, I am the Prince of Good Intentions)

And I hope all of you have a beaut 2013.  I know that some of you have been in pain this year, and I hope you find solace; some have been lonely, and I hope you find friends; some have been poor, and I hope that changes.

As they say in SA: Ek wens julle almal 'n gelukkige Kersfees en 'n voorspoedige nuwe jaar.  I wish you all a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.  Where prosperity is broadly defined: love, friendship, companionship, enough money for food and wine which gladdens the heart and a life full of meaning and satisfaction.

Hugs to you all.

No comments: