Friday, June 11, 2010

Old Friends


I've been thinking. I shouldn't, I know. It's a dangerous pastime. And probably against the law, too.

I was thinking about old friends who have died or vanished into the ether. Some were friends I knew in the flesh, as it were, and some were the e-equivalent of pen-pals. I miss them. One friend was the closest I've ever come to finding a soul-mate. He died a while ago, and I still miss him and think of him every day. I miss my father-in-law, who died just over a year ago. He was my friend for over 30 years. I miss my best friend and his wife. Since she died, he's been a shadow of himself, his agony leaving no room for anything else. I don't blame him. I can't even imagine what it feels like to lose your partner like that, especially when you have lived for each other, when the other person completed your life.

There isn't much which provides consolation or comfort. You have just to endure; survive; keep going, one step in front of the other. Only the love of those who care about you can provide any balm to the wounds. So I am grateful for my lady. Our love has survived much, and here we are, 35 years after we first started 'going out', still loving each other, still fulfilled by each other, after so many near shipwrecks on the journey.

Here's to you, my darling, dearest of people. Without you I couldn't keep going.

No comments: