Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bits and bobs


Yesterday I went to have some pre-cancerous and mildly cancerous lesions removed from my face.  I expected them to be cut out, which is what happened last time, but one was frozen off by liquid nitrogen and the other is to be got rid of by using a cream which stimulates my body's own defences to kill the cancerous cells.


Coincidentally, two reports came to my attention.  The one is from the Daily Mail, about scientists who examined ancient Egyptian mummies and found virtually no cancer, concluding that cancer is purely man-made, and is a direct result of our environment and our life style.  The other was a report by a doctor whose blog I follow, saying that tomatoes (and other plants which contain lycopene) help protect the skin against skin cancer.




All the evidence I've seen suggests that cancer can be reduced or eliminated by eating lots of vegetables and its incidence is increased by eating meat.According to the article, in industrialized societies, cancer is second only to cardiovascular disease as a cause of death. Both kinds of disease are caused by our diet and lifestyle. Stress combined with Macdonalds is a very bad combination. Add the ever-rising wash of man-made chemicals in the environment and it's hardly surprising that we are dying from cancer at such a rate.


I have become convinced over the years that our western diet is extremely unhealthy. We need to eat far more fruit and vegetables and far less meat and fish. And lots of tomato salads and soup!


I love the beach and the sun. But from now on I'll be wearing a long-sleeved rash top and a hat. And eating tomatoes.

No comments: