Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vainglory

From the Book of Common Prayer (I was brought up an Anglican):

From all blindness of heart, from pride, vainglory, and hypocrisy; from envy, hatred, and malice, and all uncharitableness, Good Lord, deliver us.

How few of the noisy Christians live according to these precepts.  It's always the quiet ones. Truly, this is the Christian message, not that you'd think so if you listened to the hate-filled preachers and hypocrites who shout and rant from every possible soapbox.

Well, I hope that I may be delivered of these things too.  Blindness of heart.  Pride.  Vainglory.  Envy.  Hatred.  Uncharitableness.   Perhaps we humans aren't strong enough to do it by ourselves.  We need help.

(I was reading some old posts about sorrowful events and sad times, The Bloody-Mindedness of Life  and Bread of Heaven and they made me think of all this stuff again)

No comments: