Friday, May 6, 2011

Majorca Flats -- 110

Is it the writing itself or what you write?”
What I write. I would love to write something more … in line with my life. Actually, I have. But though it sells, it certainly won't make me rich. No chance.”
What did you write?”
Graeme mentioned the names of a couple of gay novels.
You wrote those?” Jason was astounded. “They're fantastic!”
Thank you! A fan!” Graeme's eyes were sparkling with amusement.
I loved them. When Jonathan dives off the cliff … Wow!” Jason thought for several seconds. “But hang on a minute! The novels were set in America. How did you manage that? They sound so authentic.”
Pete was American. From the mid-west. A horrid town full of homophobes and Bible-bashers. He was much happier here, in Melbourne. We were happy, so happy together.” Graeme looked away. Then looked back, with a forced smile.
Life has a way of taking away the people and the things you love. But I always tell myself, we had ten years of bliss, of a happiness some people only dream about. I mean, every day in Africa, or the slums of India or Mexico or Rio de Janeiro, some poor bugger wakes up hungry and dies. Every day. And I have all this. So much!”

Cape Town shanties





First Majorca Flats post      Previous MF post (#109)       Next MF post(#111)

Majorca Flats Episodes 1 to 10           Majorca Flats Episodes 61 to 70
Majorca Flats Episodes 11 to 20         Majorca Flats Episodes 71 to 80
Majorca Flats Episodes 21 to 30         Majorca Flats Episodes 81 to 90
Majorca Flats Episodes 31 to 40         Majorca Flats Episodes 91 to 100
Majorca Flats Episodes 41 to 50        
Majorca Flats Episodes 51 to 60   

No comments: