Friday, May 27, 2011

Sarie Marais


One of the things about growing up in a trilingual environment is that one takes non-English words for granted in conversation.  My lady and I, my sister, my mother -- we pepper our conversation all the time with Afrikaans.

So when I decided to write a ghost story set in South Africa, I had to translate many frequently used phrases.  I thought that that spoilt the story for others, and in fact made it not very good.  Anyway, you may nevertheless enjoy it.  You can read it here.  If you click on the Roman numeral in the text it'll take you to the footnote, and then if you click on the Roman numeral in the footnote, it'll take you back to where you were in the text.



My mate Horatio Nimier, a fellow ex-South African and also an accomplished author,  has also written a tale set in South Africa.  You can read this wonderful story ( good enough in my opinion for paid publication) here

No comments: