Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Nietzschean Hourglass, or The Future's Misfortune




The Nietzschean Hourglass, or The Future's Misfortune

Once, as my thought was being drawn through

daylight into the bronze corridors of dusk and
thence into the promise of dark, I heard out
there the strained voice of the hourglass
calling for someone to turn it over and show
that the future is just an illusion, that what lay
ahead was only the past again and again. I
was too young for such an idea, so it came
back years later as if to prove its own point.

                                         Mark Strand



1 comment:

Hunter said...

Well, that's certainly cryptic. Maybe I'm not old enough to understand it.

Or maybe it's just that I'm not that fond of Mark Strand -- Jorie Graham and Wislawa Szymborska are more to my taste. Although Maurice Manning's A Companion to Owls might be closer in feel to this quote.

And that's my poetry recommendations for the day.