Sunday, December 8, 2013

Tom Daley

In a Youtube video a week ago, Tom Daley announced that he was in a relationship with a guy.

I note that he didn't say he was gay.   He said: “In spring this year my life changed massively when I met someone, and they make me feel so happy, so safe and everything just feels great. That someone is a guy.”  He added: “Of course I still fancy girls but right now I’m dating a guy and I couldn’t be happier.”

And that's exactly how it should be.  It might seem a meaningless quibble.  And perhaps it is.  But he is saying something very liberated: I love another man.  That's the key, not how he labels himself.  Or how we label him.  It's so simple, and the troglodytes find it so hard to understand.  Forget the labels, the categorisation, the this box or that.  It's something old as mankind, maybe older.  Something profound and vital.  Love.  What matters is not the gender of your partner or how you make love or any of those things.  What matters is that it is love.

Good on you mate.  And thank you for telling us, because it will make it easier for others also to be open and free.





1 comment:

Max said...

I love our Millennials. It's like they are the second phase of the sexual revolution that the Hippies started in the late 60s.