Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Majorca Flats -- 124


Without a word, Keith rose and went to the bar and returned with three brandies. In silence, he pushed one across the scrubbed table boards to Jason and the other to Luigi, then took a long swallow from his own glass.
He came to me. The club said that if he repaid the money and resigned, they wouldn’t press charges. As I said, he was very popular. His work was also ready to avoid a court case if he repaid. He came to me, and asked for money. I could easily have given it to him. Even if I didn't have it in my bank account, I could have borrowed some from somewhere. He might have had to leave the club and find a new job but at least he wouldn't have to go to jail.”
Jason took a long swallow of his brandy. The burn as it went down his throat promised anaesthesia to come. He relished both.
I refused. Fuck me for a cunt, I refused. He didn't say anything, he didn't get angry, he just looked at me. I'll never forget that look. Never. I'll live with it forever.”


No comments: