Thursday, December 22, 2011

Majorca Flats -- 269




 “My life is finished, isn't it?” Cody didn't look at Luigi as he said this. Luigi didn't know how to answer. How would Cody explain this to his wife? He squeezed Cody's hand but remained silent.
After I'd escaped … after Michael found me … I was glad that I'd got my life back. It was as if I'd been given a whole new life, you know. I thought I was going to die. And I didn't. But … my life has ended, really, hasn't it? My marriage … Phillippa won't forgive me. So it'll be divorce. And I'll never get to see my kids. They don't, you know.”
Don't what?” murmured Luigi, still stroking his hand.
Give custody to gay fathers.”
Luigi thought that all too likely, so he said nothing.
I'll have to pay support. And I'll lose my job.”
They can't sack you for being gay! It's illegal!”
Don't be stupid, Lou. Of course they won't sack me for being gay … they'll find another reason. They don't even have to give a reason. And when I go for my new job … I won't be able to give them as a reference, because if I do, they'll phone up and they'll be told. About the homo who got carved up by the Mount Macedon Murderer. And that'll be that. And if I leave that part of my resumé blank they'll ask what I was doing then. In jail? On the dole? I'm stuffed, Lou. Finished. Royally fucked.”
A thought suddenly struck Luigi. “Christ! How long were you captive, do you think?”
Fuck knows. It seemed forever. A few days? What's today?”
Wednesday.”
He took me last week. Wednesday?”
Yes. I saw you.”
Cody looked at him in wonder. “I remember. You smiled at me. Oh, Lou.” And he began to weep again.
Coads … Cody love … we have to tell your wife. You've been gone a week. She must be out of her mind with worry.” He handed his phone to Cody and stepped out of hearing.




First Majorca Flats post 
      Previous MF post (#268)       Next MF post(#270)

Episodes 1 to 220 (without pictures, 10 episodes per chapter)

No comments: