Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Night thoughts



I've been trying to lose weight.  All my life I've eaten for comfort.  Food helped me feel better when I was lonely or bullied or stressed.  Alcohol also helped.  It makes some people aggressive, but it relaxes me, and makes me happy.  There's a problem, though.  There're lots of calories in alcohol.  But sometimes, the trade-off tilts in alcohol's direction. 

I'm worried about the world.  I know, I read decades ago that if you think the world has gone to hell in a hand-basket, you're probably over 30.  Which I am.  But I've always tried to remember that little aphorism whenever I've got disgruntled about the state of the world.  Maybe it's not as bad as you think, I say to myself.  Maybe you're overreacting.  But ... maybe I'm not, too.

I look at Donald Trump and his overthrow of truth and decency.  I look at our own government, which in the face of the hottest summer ever, by far, still lies about the country's emissions and wants to subsidize coal power stations.  I look out of the window at dying fields and trees, dying because of a horrendous drought caused by global warming.  There's the war in Yemen, where hundreds of thousands of people are starving to death.  I read reports about how the numbers of insects have dropped 75% over 40 years.  Without insects there won't be an environment; there won't be food.   And I wonder about the rank folly and greed of mankind.

Alcohol helps.  I've lost 9 kilos (20 pounds) but my despair about the world around me threatens to stop that, even reverse it.

Ah, well.  I'll try to be better tomorrow.


1 comment:

Gordon Harris said...

Nikolao, I'm sorry that you're depressed about the state of the world. It concerns me too. But, there is little that either of us can do about it. Please keep that in mind.

I enjoy good food and wine too.

Please be gentle with yourself.


Hugs, Gordon