Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Majorca Flats -- 133

They asked me a lot of questions, but they weren't hostile like that cunt of a policeman. I told them the truth, and … I had to keep on stopping because … oh fuck, I was so broken. They didn't blame me. But Brent's team mates were there. They wouldn't speak to me. Most of them wouldn't even look at me. Those who did were so angry, so antagonistic. Well, they had the right.”
No they fuckin' dedn't!” exclaimed Keith. “They had no fuckin' roight!” His accent was stronger when he was angry.
He was their friend too. And I screwed up. I know I did. If I had been a better person, he would be alive today. If I had really cared about him, about us, he wouldn't be rotting in his grave. Don't think I don't know that. Don't make excuses for me.”
He took another swallow of the brandy, and some more of the tea. The tea was refreshing but the brandy seemed to make no difference to his pain. He'd hoped that it would anaesthetise his hurt, soften his loss, but it didn't. He felt fuzzier at the edges but that was all.


First Majorca Flats post       Previous MF post (#132)       Next MF post(#134)


Majorca Flats Episodes 1 to 10           Majorca Flats Episodes 71 to 80
Majorca Flats Episodes 11 to 20         Majorca Flats Episodes 81 to 90
Majorca Flats Episodes 21 to 30         Majorca Flats Episodes 91 to 100
Majorca Flats Episodes 31 to 40         Majorca Flats Episodes 101 to 110
Majorca Flats Episodes 41 to 50         Majorca Flats Episodes 111 to 120   
Majorca Flats Episodes 51 to 60         Majorca Flats Episodes 121 to 130
Majorca Flats Episodes 61 to 70

No comments: