Thursday, June 16, 2011

Majorca Flats -- 134

Then there was the funeral. I didn't tell anyone where it was. But Amanda found out, and another friend Chris, who was gay, he came too. When I arrived most of the members of his team were outside the church, waiting for me. They said I wasn't welcome.” He wiped his eyes on his T-shirt sleeve. “Yeah, well.”
So I went home and thought, where shall I go? I had my passport with me. I went to a sports shop and bought a backback. I went to the bank and drew out enough money for an air ticket and expenses for the first couple of months. Amanda wanted to stay off work for me, but I insisted that I was fine and that she should go. I left a note for her, put her keys back through her letter flap in her door and went to Heathrow.”
I thought of America, but I didn't have a visa and these days after 9/11 they're so anal about that. So I thought I would try Australia and if they didn't take me, New Zealand. I bought a return ticket with a one-year validity so I could say I was just a student looking to backpack it round Australia. And if Australia refused me entry, I was ready to go on to New Zealand. I've always wanted to go there.”



First Majorca Flats post       Previous MF post (#133)       Next MF post(#135)


Majorca Flats Episodes 1 to 10           Majorca Flats Episodes 71 to 80
Majorca Flats Episodes 11 to 20         Majorca Flats Episodes 81 to 90
Majorca Flats Episodes 21 to 30         Majorca Flats Episodes 91 to 100
Majorca Flats Episodes 31 to 40         Majorca Flats Episodes 101 to 110
Majorca Flats Episodes 41 to 50         Majorca Flats Episodes 111 to 120   
Majorca Flats Episodes 51 to 60         Majorca Flats Episodes 121 to 130
Majorca Flats Episodes 61 to 70

No comments: