Friday, June 17, 2011

Majorca Flats -- 135


It turned out that I could apply for a visa on-line. It's issued almost immediately, but they didn't put a stamp in my passport. It's all electronic. Anyway, after I sorted that out, when I tried to board the plane there was a big hoo-ha because they thought I might be a terrorist.”
Fuck me! Whoi?” Keith was astounded.
I bought a ticket for cash — not a credit card. I was a back-packer. I dunno. Do I look like a terrorist to you chaps?” Not waiting for an answer, he continued, “So I was interviewed for an hour, and in the end they let me go after searching everything in my back-pack even taking off the effing ends of the tubes to look inside. But after God knows how long, since even they could see I wasn't a terrorist, they let me leave. Imagine if I'd been Indian or Pakistani? I'd probably be being tortured in Guantanamo right now.
Anyway, when I got to Melbourne, they quizzed me all over again. But I managed to convince them to let me in for six months. Then I caught the bus into the city and started walking. I walked and walked until I came to Majorca Flats.”
Majorca Flats?”
It's a row of terrace houses where I rent a room. From a really nice old lady.” He swallowed some more brandy. “You know, it's weird. And wonderful.  I'm making myself a new home here.”


First Majorca Flats post       Previous MF post (#134)       Next MF post(#136)


Majorca Flats Episodes 1 to 10           Majorca Flats Episodes 71 to 80
Majorca Flats Episodes 11 to 20         Majorca Flats Episodes 81 to 90
Majorca Flats Episodes 21 to 30         Majorca Flats Episodes 91 to 100
Majorca Flats Episodes 31 to 40         Majorca Flats Episodes 101 to 110
Majorca Flats Episodes 41 to 50         Majorca Flats Episodes 111 to 120   
Majorca Flats Episodes 51 to 60         Majorca Flats Episodes 121 to 130
Majorca Flats Episodes 61 to 70

No comments: