Sunday, January 25, 2015

The struggle naught availeth

Well, not quite.  I am losing weight.  Not fast, but it's been 3 weeks now.  The chart shows my weight, measured each week on a Saturday morning after my shower.  You can see how I gained weight over the Christmas period (wife's birthday, wining and dining clients, Christmas, New Year, wedding anniversary), reversing the previous downtrend.  But once again I'm losing.

I'm on the low-GL diet, discovered  by the nutritionist Patrick Holford, and I was on it before the Christmas splurge.  GL stands for "glycaemic load".  "Glycaemic" is a nice Ancient Greek word meaning "sweet-blood" (glykos/glukos=sweet, haim/haem = blood) and the low-GL diet is about controlling your blood sugar.  Well, much follows from that, which is a little bit complicated.  But it is NOT a conventional low-calorie diet.  And unlike all other diets I've tried, it works.  I tried it 10 years ago and lost 1 kg a week over 20 weeks.  I'm never hungry.  I avoid high-GL carbohydrates such as white flour and sugar, but eat (as a vegetarian) a fair amount of low-GL carbs like beans and chickpeas. I eat lots of raw nuts whenever I am hungry.  You can eat berries (delicious), nuts, peanuts, beans, veggies, tofu (meat if you have to, but I never eat meat or fish), apples, cheese with care, tehini, hummous; but you must avoid things made with white flour and sugar.  I avoid alcohol; it seems to make me gain weight very fast (hence the Christmas gains).  You do have to give up caffeine because it affects your blood-sugar much like high-GL foods, and that was by far the hardest thing to do.  You must exercise 15 minutes a day, which I find doable.

So, by next Christmas I want to be 20 kgs (44 lbs) lighter.  And I'll have got there without self-deprivation .... except for not drinking tea .....


No comments: